This was going to be a post about me winning. It was going to be a post about me taking a stand. It was going to be a post about this being the last box of diapers I was going to purchase for my youngest child. It was going to be about ending my eight and a half year diaper buying streak. And it might have been if Porter always looked like this sweet little angel sitting on a box of diapers.
But most of the time Porter looks more like this punky little boy sitting on a box of diapers. A little boy who is fiercely independent and wants to do things his own way on his own schedule.
After many many days of potty triaining, Porter has only gone to the bathroom in the toilet twice. And the crazy thing is he doesn't have tons of accidents either. The boy is just plain old stubborn. And he has bladder control like no one I have ever met before. Many days he has only had one accident (and nothing on the potty). How does that happen? Other times he has literally sat on the potty for a half and hour and then gone in the kitchen for lunch and wet all over the chair (not 5 minutes after the marathon bathroom sit-in).
And to top it all off, my mom, who has potty trained enough two-year-olds she could write a how-to book, says Porter is hopeless. But she did tell me to look on the bright side - you don't ever see kids starting kindergarten in diapers so he'll have to start using the toilet at some point. Thanks, Mom!!
I have potty trained three children. What is wrong with potty training #4? I even asked my pediatrician for suggestions (haven't ever had to do that). He said Porter would go when he was ready - boo!!!
And so this post isn't about last boxes of diapers, or me winning. It's about a little boy who turns 3 on Friday who has absolutely no desire to go on the potty. And no amount of coercion will tempt him - I've tried everything (from delectibles to consequences - I even bought a little froggy potty that sits on the floor of the bathroom which I said I would never do because, well, they gross me out). So, Porter is winning the battle and I am sad, beat-up and discouraged.
And now when he hides to take care of business and I find him in all of his stinkiness, he says, "I'm not stinky mom. Don't change me." Yep - no desire for potties AND he hates getting his diapers changed. Mercy - I give!!!
But most of the time Porter looks more like this punky little boy sitting on a box of diapers. A little boy who is fiercely independent and wants to do things his own way on his own schedule.
After many many days of potty triaining, Porter has only gone to the bathroom in the toilet twice. And the crazy thing is he doesn't have tons of accidents either. The boy is just plain old stubborn. And he has bladder control like no one I have ever met before. Many days he has only had one accident (and nothing on the potty). How does that happen? Other times he has literally sat on the potty for a half and hour and then gone in the kitchen for lunch and wet all over the chair (not 5 minutes after the marathon bathroom sit-in).
And to top it all off, my mom, who has potty trained enough two-year-olds she could write a how-to book, says Porter is hopeless. But she did tell me to look on the bright side - you don't ever see kids starting kindergarten in diapers so he'll have to start using the toilet at some point. Thanks, Mom!!
I have potty trained three children. What is wrong with potty training #4? I even asked my pediatrician for suggestions (haven't ever had to do that). He said Porter would go when he was ready - boo!!!
And so this post isn't about last boxes of diapers, or me winning. It's about a little boy who turns 3 on Friday who has absolutely no desire to go on the potty. And no amount of coercion will tempt him - I've tried everything (from delectibles to consequences - I even bought a little froggy potty that sits on the floor of the bathroom which I said I would never do because, well, they gross me out). So, Porter is winning the battle and I am sad, beat-up and discouraged.
And now when he hides to take care of business and I find him in all of his stinkiness, he says, "I'm not stinky mom. Don't change me." Yep - no desire for potties AND he hates getting his diapers changed. Mercy - I give!!!
5 comments:
I am so sorry. It always seems so much longer when we are in it. This too shall pass. Miss ya!
I could have written the same post about Mason 3 months ago... except instead of holding it in all day... he wet his pants every 30 minutes. Waiting a couple months was the best thing I did... for both of us.
I think Porter likes to see you get frazzled :).
I love this funny post and the best is your moms great comment. I am sure it is hard to get mad at a face as cute as that, I just want to hug him.
Hang in there. Consider yourself blessed that your other three potty-trained so easily. Mine never did ;)
I feel your pain - with #4 I thought, "I have already trained 3 children, can't I just flip the switch on this one?" I went through the same thing with Sarah AND Samantha, best thing I did (for both of us) was wait a couple of monthes and try again. Good Luck! :) Miss you.
Post a Comment