August 27, 2008

Just a little bit of head glue

After almost eight years of parenthood, we made our first trip to urgent care for a head wound.

Brooklyn learned how to ride her bike without training wheels a couple of weeks ago. A few days later we had a near traumatic experience when she ran over her little brother. Her handlebar hit Porter in the forehead and sent him airborne. I was amazed that he ended up with only a bruised bump on his forehead from the initial impact.

Then last week we had friends over and there was a large number of children riding and playing in our cul-de-sac. One friend laid her scooter down in the middle of the road and we soon discovered that not only is Brooklyn not very good at avoiding moving objects on her bike, she isn't very good at avoiding non moving objects either. She plowed into the scooter and went flying. The rider of the scooter was sitting very nearby and when I saw the aftermath, I thought Brooklyn had hit the scooter and it's rider. So as I picked her up I held her close because I knew she was hurt, but I started telling her that she was not allowed to ride the bike for a week because she just couldn't hitting people. She just kept telling me there wasn't anyone on the scooter. It's was about this point that I finally looked at her face - it looks like a small cut, but there was quite a lot of blood oozing down her forehead and cheek. I decided it probably wasn't the best time for correcting her. And an eye witness told me later that the scooter was unoccupied when it was ran over.

We didn't get to see a doctor for about three hours - Rapid Med is great, but sometimes not so rapid. She was very brave but worried about getting stitches. Lucky for her, the wound was being held together by a little flap of skin so all it required was a little bit of glue. When the doctor left the room to get the glue, Brooklyn asked me if it was special glue. It made me laugh to think she was probably imagine a giant glue stick.

In about four months her forehead should be as good as new (or so we were told). However, on the way home from school today she fell of her scooter and popped the same spot. There was a little more blood and another fine bump, but the glue held. We'll see if she let's it heal this time before whacking it again.

5 comments:

The Tait Family said...

Poor thing! It could have been worse...I have 3 scars totally over 300 stitches in my face.

Nicki Wilson said...

I flew over my handle bars once. I think it was on the way to the Wade's. Maybe she's a little more like me than I thought.

Nicki Wilson said...

Oh and that picture's kinda a creepy picture of Brooklyn!! Just remind her of how I had to get stitches in mine chin when I busted it open in the hot tub.

Sharon said...

Little Robby got stitches on his forehead when he was little. I wish they could have used the glue like they did for Brooklyn.

He also has experienced the flying over the handle bars feat, only he came out with a chipped tooth. Falling off bikes is no fun!

The Kansas Stephens said...

Are you sure she didn't pop up and say,"I'm okay, I'm okay." I still hear her saying that in my mind everytime she had a trip up.

Sara