One morning, a few weeks ago, I had some bananas that were screaming to put me out of their misery and bake them up in some banana bread. We love banana bread at our house and it frequents our breakfast table. So, I whipped up my normal batch that makes two large loaves. The morning was quite full and we were in the process of preparing to leave for the day. We were going to be home just long enough to bake the bread (for about an hour), but not long enough to wait for it to cool so we could have some for breakfast. So, I filled one bread pan and then I filled my mini-muffin tins. The muffins would bake quicker and I could pull them out and serve them for breakfast while the loaf was still baking.
My plan went smoothly. We did all of our chores to get ready to leave and then our yummy muffins were done and there was plenty of time to have a bite. I set the table and called all the kids in, said blessing and told the kids to be nice at the table while I finished switching loads of laundry. Our laundry area is within earshot of the kitchen table and while I switched loads I heard this conversation.
Baden: The banana bread always tastes different when Mom makes it into muffins.
Brooklyn: Yeah - I wish we could eat the bread instead of the muffins.
Ella agreed.
At this point I stepped into the kitchen and explained that the banana muffins were exactly the same as the banana bread. Using a different pan to bake the batter does not change the taste of the bread at all. And with that, I popped one of those mini muffins into my mouth, allowed a second to taste it's banana cinnamon goodness and promptly spit it out in to the trash can. My first though was - banana mini-muffins are definitely not as good as banana bread. But that's ridiculous - so then I started trying to figure out what I could have done wrong. It didn't take long to figure it out.
SUGAR!!!
In my haste, I had forgot to add sugar to the batter. Mr. Baden, you are absolutely correct. Banana bread tastes different when you cook it in mini-muffin tins - especially when you leave out the sugar.
The loaves we made last week, sugar included, were divine.
3 comments:
LOL...I was waiting for the punch line to be you added salt instead...not that I have ever done that myself ;-)
That is too funny. I can just see you explaining to them how they are just the same.
That is too funny! Adding sugar to your banana bread batter ... PRICELESS!
Post a Comment