Several days ago, I heard loud cries coming from the back of the house (a very common sound in our home). When the cries didn't subside quickly, I went to investigate. Ella met me halfway down the hall blubbering that Brooklyn would not give her any gum. Upon entering the girls room, I discovered that Brooklyn had a piece of gum and she had given a piece to her friend Brooklyn but she didn't think she needed to give any to Ella. I reminded her that the pack of gum was mine and I had nicely shared it with her and therefore she needed to share with Ella. She agreed so I left the room.
Moments later there was more loud crying. Again, I found Ella in the hallway but this time she was followed by Brooklyn. Ella blubbered again about no gum and Brooklyn quickly responded that she was willing to share gum with Ella, her minty (or as Ella calls it - spicy) gum, just not the yummy fruity gum she and her friend were chewing. We had a short discussion and I told her it wasn't fair for everyone to have the fruity gum except Ella. If Brooklyn has fruity gum and Brooklyn N. has fruity gum then Ella can have fruity gum too. She agreed so I left the room.
Once again, there was more loud crying. As I head their direction, I'm thinking, "Just give the girl a piece of gum." This time I ran into the two Brooklyn's who were no longer chewing gum. I asked Brooklyn what was going on and she logically said to me, "You said if Brooklyn and I had gum then Ella needed the same kind, so we decided we didn't want our gum anymore and we spit it out." I quickly demanded the pack of gum, gave Ella a piece and told Brooklyn she could no longer be in control of the gum.
How stubborn must a little girl be to willingly give up her gum just so she doesn't have to give any to her sister? Next time I will remind her that she needs to share with Ella whether she is chewing the gum or not.
3 comments:
There's something so pleasing about teasing your sister. Li'l Robby (who's old enough to know better) admitted to me tonight that he does things with the intent to annoy his sister Jenna. Sibling love, isn't it great?!
What a great story! I love it... sounds right up my kids' ally...
Sarah!!! I love your blog -- I got here from a link on T-Lo's. I am sad we don't have occasion to cross paths more often. You are the best.
Sharon Cliff
Post a Comment