January 26, 2009

Blog Worthy

Things are always a little wild around here, but one afternoon it got down right spicy. I had a full afternoon/evening a front of me, so I started to prepare a tasty little snack to sit and relax for a minute before I got to work. I had everything all put together when I decided my treat needed just one more thing. I grabbed the large wholesale club bottle of Pace Picante out of the fridge and as I stepped toward the counter I did a quick wrist flick to the left and then back to the right (it says to shake well before use - I wouldn't even describe this hand movement as shaking, I was just mixing it up slightly). Well, what I thought were slight wrist flicks would have been great - if the lid had been on tight. Instead of shaking my salsa I sent it flying. The lid flew off and salsa flew to the left and then to the right. I let out a frustrated "arghhhhhh" and closed my eyes to try and escape the disaster when Porter started fussing, well, screaming. I calmly said, "Porter, please don't scream, I will get to you but I have to deal with this mess." And then I opened my eyes. Porter had been right in the path of the flying salsa and when I had flicked to the right it hit Porter square in the face. Yes - I told my two-year-old to wait a minute while he had jalapeno juice in his eyes. I quickly grabbed a rag and was trying to wipe it out, but he wouldn't stop rubbing which was only making things worse because his hands were covered with more salsa. And here's were the story gets even better...
Porter's screaming because his eyes are on fire, I'm trying to wipe and hold down two frantic little hands, and I say (I did not yell, only spoke loud enough to be heard), "I could really use you." But Dallin was in his office working and I'm sure he was on a call he could not just immediately jump off. I didn't really need him, I was just stating the fact that I could really use him. I didn't expect for him to come running. I was also telling Porter that it was okay and I kept saying, "I'm going to get it out. It's okay, I'm going to get it out."
A few minutes later, Dallin did come running. As soon as he could he came to see what craziness was ensuing in the kitchen. When he arrived, Porter was finally clean and his eyes were no longer flaming but the kitchen looked like I had painted the walls with the fiery condiment. Dallin looked a little frantic and wanted to know what was going on. I told about the flicking, the flying, the burning and the screaming. And he said, "Oh, I thought Porter had been stabbed with a knife." All he had heard was wild screaming and me telling Porter I would get it out - and I had said I needed him (okay, it was probably more of a yell for help like something was wrong). And thus the knife scenario had emerged. After consoling Porter and trying to get me to laugh at the ridiculous mess I had made, Dallin asked if I had taken a picture of Porter with the salsa all over him. What!!! "Well, it certainly seems blog worthy to me. Doesn't every post need a picture?" was his reply. Ahh Dallin.....you and you're funny wit.

So, here it is - one blog worthy story without a picture.

9 comments:

tamara said...

LOL...that's okay, Sarah...I have a vivid imagination and can just envision the scene based on your description. Poor Porter...that is so funny, though. I bet weeks from now you'll be finding petrified salsa in hidden corners of your kitchen ;-)

Julie E. said...

Poor Porter! It cracks me up to think of Dallin coming in to a red kitchen thinking that Porter had been stabbed with you saying "I really could use you in here!" Ha!

The Tait Family said...

That is so funny. Actually, that exact same thing happened to us when we growing up. Before church on Sunday Keith went to shake the salsa and the lid was not on and it sprayed all over Alex. Sunday clothes ruined, eyes burning...and we made him pose for a picture. I'll have to track that picture down. Poor Porter. Alex can total relate!!

Tami said...

Poor Porter! That is so funny!

emblair said...

Most definitely blog worthy!

Rob & Megg said...

Okay, so I haven't laughed that hard at a blog post in a LONG time. I'm glad everything turned out alright though. Life...it's pretty funny!

Sharon said...

I was laughing so hard reading this I got tears in my eyes. I know it wasn't funny at the moment, but hopefully you can laugh now that it's only a memory.

hello said...

Oh dear. Wow. Fun stuff.

Melanie said...

This post totally cracked me up....even though you don't have a picture of the event your post was so well written that I think we all have an image in our minds. Thanks for the good laugh (sorry it was at Porter's expense).